Wednesday, September 14, 2011

What oh what to do with the stairs...?
We debated this for quite some time, then left them as we tromped over them a gazillion times...finally I got up enough nerve to tackle what I thought I wanted to create.  Part of the hesitation, was due to the fact I knew well enough it would not be easy.
1) using painting tape has NEVER worked for me...this is the reason I learned to "cut in" w/out taping, well and because its MUCH quicker not to have to tape off!
2) There was no way those stairs were going to be level or even in any way shape or form, so trying to create a "straight" line on them...never mind many - was not going to be "fun".
3) I have NO patience for slow progress!  I want to see results- quickly- this is not a job I looked forward to!

In the end, the paint leaked under the blue painters tape (big surprise!) and the measurements ended up being "connect the line" & use your eye...! :)
Scott helped rescue me when I'd had enough..but here is the process: One day, we will splurge and put a beautiful oriental runner on the stairs...but paint for now will have to do!



Before wallpaper came down...it was a hard choice, it was SO pretty! (& clean)! (a year ago...)


After wallpaper came down, before skim coating of all walls...

Frannie posing on our newly painted stairs!

Complete, minus the adorable rascal dog!


This was the image I used as my inspiration....

2 comments:

  1. This looks AMAZEBALLS!!!!!!!!! I freakin' LOVE it!!!!! Seriously, it's perfect. Your house continues to be an inspiration... Whenever Ty and I consider what to do with his place (soon to be "our" place), we're always like, "What about like what Scotty and Emily did in the [name room here]?"

    :)

    AWESOMENESS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, thank you for following my request and updating the blog. Secondly a tip with painters tape although a little late. I assume you did the dark lines last and that dark color bled over to the white and grey. To avoid this is fairly simple and only involves one extra step. After taping you paint the line with the color that is underneath so when it bleeds you won't notice because it matches. This will seal the edge of the tape so when you paint the stripe color it won't bleed. So for those stripes you would paint one side white and the other grey first then your dark color. A little late but keep it locked away for future reference. BTW everything looks great.

    ReplyDelete