Sunday, January 2, 2011

YAY! A kitchen floor is born!

We had the amazing pleasure of beginning the finish leg of our kitchen floor yesterday!  A much awaited for day had arrived.  The Up-Country gang had laid the wide pine flooring a few days earlier. 

We borrowed sanders from Pete & Theron, who are always more than willing to loan their tools- thank you!  & we began sanding....as with most things with this project, it took longer than expected...and was a bit more work than orginally thought.  The floor had stubborn black stains from boots, hammers, etc...that had to be sanded off....





This a.m. we finished the sanding & vacuumed the floor again & again, & once again!  I was still amazed how much dust the tack cloths picked up!

Finally....(drum roll please....) it was time for the Waterlox tung oil to hit the floor!  Scott did a great job at applying it, I was a bit intimidated by the application, but was excellent w/the vacuuming & not too bad with the sander- so it all worked out! :) 

stay tuned....3 coats to go!


Here it goes...."I better start somewhere it won't show....(will be hidden by the cabinets), till I get the hang of this." a wink & a nod & Emily replies, "good idea!" :) (Scott I love those knee pads- very essential for applying floor finish!) :)


"Okay, I'm doing better now....I'm on a roll!  I'm going to wear this respirator- this stuff is toxic!" yuck!


a beautiful finish at 1 coat- we cannot wait to see 4 coats- this product really seems to bring out the beauty of the wood- we are thrilled!


No comments:

Post a Comment